There are many ways you can cut the cost of a funeral significantly. These are the main ways to do this:
- Shop around for funeral director quotes
- Organise a self-directed (DIY funeral), a direct or simple funeral
- Opt for cremation rather than burial
- Pick an early morning time slot at the crematorium
- Use a simple coffin
- Consider a natural woodland burial
- Donate the body to medical research
- Administer the person’s estate yourself
A direct funeral can free up the budget for a memorial service to be held at a later date or even in another country.
Who pays the funeral costs?
The funeral can be paid for:
- from a financial scheme the person had, eg a pre-paid funeral plan or insurance policy
- by you, or other family members or friends
- with money from the person’s estate (eg savings) – getting access to this is called applying for a ‘grant of representation’ (sometimes called ‘applying for probate’)
Have all your questions been answered?
If you have a question relating to any information on this site, please do ask - or leave a comment below.